The UAE’s defence ministry said it intercepted two ballistic missiles over Abu Dhabi early on Monday morning with no casualties. It follows a deadly attack last week which killed three people in the capital.
The UAE’s defence ministry said in a statement today: “The remnants of the intercepted ballistic missiles fell in separate areas around Abu Dhabi.”
It added that it “is ready to deal with any threats and … takes all necessary measures to protect the state”.
The attack prompted the US State Department to issue a security alert.
It said: “There have been reports of a possible missile attack and accompanying missile defence activity over Abu Dhabi early this morning.
“The Embassy reminds all US citizens in the United Arab Emirates to maintain a high level of security awareness.”
UAE newspaper The National cited residents reporting flashes in the sky over the capital at around 4.30am.
The Houthis have been battling a Saudi-led coalition that includes the UAE for more than six years, repeatedly carrying out cross-border missile and drone attacks on Saudi Arabia.
READ MORE: World holds breath as Ukraine to fire rocket amid Russia tension
Saudi state media said early on Monday the coalition intercepted a ballistic missile, with remnants damaging workshops and vehicles in the south of the country.
It said late on Sunday that a ballistic missile fell in the south, injuring two foreigners and causing damage in an industrial area.
Monday’s attack comes after a strike last week that hit a fuel depot in Abu Dhabi, killing three people and causing a fire near its international airport.
The Yemen conflict is largely seen as a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran.
The Saudi-led coalition has ramped up airstrikes on what it describes as Houthi targets in Yemen.