NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
This National Barbecue Month, make tacos – but not just any tacos. Try delicious short rib tacos from Jonathan Wiener, the executive chef at Agua Caliente Cathedral City in Cathedral City, California.
“Taking a classic cooking technique such as braising meat and transforming it into something popular like tacos is a fun dish to cook,” said Wiener. “A great tip for home cooks making these tacos is to focus on the garnish. You can add any topping you’d like, and you can customize to your guests’ liking.”
VIRAL ‘LAZY ENCHILADAS’ RECIPE CAN BE PREPARED IN UNDER 30 MINUTES: ‘THEY ARE DELICIOUS’
His top picks include pickled onions, a spice salsa and shredded cheddar cheese, which can all “completely transform the flavor profile.”
Short Rib Tacos by Chef Jonathan Wiener of Agua Caliente Cathedral City
Makes 4 servings (12 tortillas/3 per serving)
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
BEER CAN SAUSAGE-WRAPPED BURGER: TRY THE RECIPE
- Short Rib Meat
- 10 pounds of chuck roll
- 1 pound of yellow onions
- ¼ cup of garlic cloves
- 2 guajillo peppers
- 1 ancho pepper
- ¼ cup beef base
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Masa (optional: you can also buy small corn tortillas):
- Two cups of maseca
- 2 tbsp lard
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups lukewarm water
- Canola Oil
- Tacos (per taco):
- 2 ounces of short rib
- 1 tortilla
- 1 thin avocado slice
- 1 tsp radish (Julianne)
- Roughly chopped cilantro for garnish
SUMMER GRILLING: SIMPLE BEEF SWAPS FROM A BUTCHER AND MEAT SCIENTIST
Short Rib Meat:
- Cut the chuck roll into thick steaks.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Sear both sides until you get a medium browning.
- Cut the onions in half and add to the meat in a large roasting pan. Add the garlic (you can chop them or leave them whole)
- Remove the stems from the peppers and add to the meat.
- Dissolve the tomato paste and beef base and distribute evenly amongst the meat.
- Add just enough water to cover the meat. Use foil to cover.
- Cook at 250 °F until tender. Remove the meat and set aside the veggies and a small portion of the braising liquid.
- Shred the meat and remove any excess fat.
- Blend the vegetables with some braising liquid until smooth.
- Add the blended vegetable mixture and shredded meat back into the pan with the braising liquid. Note: If your serving size is the suggested three tacos for four people, you should have some leftover meat.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Masa (optional: you can also buy small corn tortillas):
- Mix all ingredients together and add lukewarm water as needed to create a smooth dough.
- Do not over mix and allow the mixture to rest for one hour.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces and roll into golf ball size balls.
- In a tortilla press using wax paper, push the dough into tortillas.
- Heat a pan with canola oil and cook tortillas on both sides until lightly browned.
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR MORE FOX LIFESTYLE NEWS
- Place two ounces of braised meat onto each tortilla.
- Top with one thin slice of avocado, radish and cilantro.
- Continue for each taco.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR LIFESTYLE NEWSLETTER
This original recipe is owned by aguacalientecasinos.com and was shared with Fox News Digital.