Blizzard has announced that they will be launching Overwatch Crossplay support later this month.
And while the team has only revealed that it will be available “soon,” it has been confirmed that this feature will be going live during June.
Overwatch crossplay will make it possible for gamers across PlayStation, Xbox, PC and Nintendo platforms to play together for the first time.
Crossplay will enable players to team up with friends, but it will also come with some limitations.
During a new developers update posted on YouTube, it was confirmed that the Overwatch Crossplay launch would not include Cross-progression.
This feature will probably arrive at some point in the future, but Blizzard isn’t making it a priority for June.
Crossplay will be enabled for all game modes with an exception for Competitive games.
Blizzard has confirmed that competitive players will be split into two pools depending on the system that they are playing on: 1) Console players, and 2) PC players. For balance purposes, PC players and console players will not be mixed in the same pool for competitive matches.
Blizzard has also revealed that with the launch of Crossplay, all console gamers will need to create a Battle.Net account and link it to their console (Xbox, PSN, Nintendo) account.
PC players do not need to take this step as they already have a Battle.net account and use it as their primary platform.
Upon launching the game, gamers will be prompted to link their console account to a Battle.net account.
WHEN IS OVERWATCH CROSSPLAY COMING OUT?
Developers Blizzard has confirmed that Overwatch Crossplay will be coming out during June 2021.
They haven’t provided an exact date yet but they have revealed that Overwatch Season 28 will be affected by the changes.
SR and leaderboards will be preserved when the dev team patches the game and everything should continue as normal for the rest of the season.
And with Competitive Season 29 scheduled to begin on July 1, 2021, this indicates that Overwatch Crossplay will be coming to PS4, Xbox One, PC and Nintendo Switch in June 2021.
A message from Blizzard adds: “Cross-Play is coming to Overwatch soon, allowing players to group up and play together. Powered by the latest global Battle.net update, players from around the world can team up, regardless of their preferred platform.
“With the release of cross-play, all players will need to make a Battle.net account and link their appropriate console accounts. With the launch of Cross-Play, everyone who logs in to Overwatch by the end of 2021 will receive a Golden Loot Box to celebrate.”
HOW TO CREATE A BATTLE.NET ACCOUNT
- Visit Battle.net
- Create a free Battle.net account
- Once you create your Battle.net account, go to your Account Settings
- Click on the “Connections” section under Account Settings and link your console
HOW TO LINK YOUR CONSOLE GAME TO BATTLE.NET
- Launch the game on your system
- Press the confirmation button to progress through the Overwatch welcome screen
- You will be presented with an alpha-numeric code and a QR code
- The alpha-numeric code can be entered at http://battle.net/pair
- The QR code may be scanned with a mobile app to take you to the linking webpage, which will be pre-populated with the code provided in-game
- Log in with your Battle.net account credentials to finalize the connection between your console game and Battle.net accounts
- You will receive a message in-game that notifies that your account is now successfully connected
- Exit and relaunch Overwatch.