Brazil legend Pele has been hospitalised in Sao Paolo just months after having a tumour in his colon removed. The 81-year-old has had some health issues in recent years. It’s claimed he should be released in the coming days, with treatment primed to resume.
Hospital Albert Einstein said in a statement on Wednesday that Pele is stable, with the Brazilian due to be released in the next few days.
It comes after undergoing surgery on September to remove a solon tumour, where he then spent a month in Hospital.
At the time, the hospital stated he would require chemotherapy, with treatment now ‘continuing’.
Last month Pele had claimed he was ‘fine’ and ‘feeling better every day’ and fans will be hoping this is merely a small setback.
Pele is regarded as one of the best footballers to ever play the game.
THINK YOU KNOW SPORT? Test your sporting knowledge with our tricky quiz
“Focus on your happiness. It’s true that I can’t jump anymore, but these past few days, I’ve been punching the air more times than usual.
“I am so happy to be back at home. I want to thank the entire Albert Einstein Hospital team, who made my stay a pleasant one, with a humane and very affectionate welcome.
“Thanks also to all of you, who from afar, make my life complete with so many messages of love.”
Speaking last year, Pele shrugged off concerns over his health.
“I am good,” he said.
“I continue to accept my physical limitations in the best way possible but I intend to keep the ball rolling.
“I am not avoiding fulfilling the commitments in my always busy schedule.
“I have good days and bad days. That is normal for people of my age. I am not afraid, I am determined, confident in what I do.”