Novak Djokovic is waiting to learn whether Australia’s federal government will lift his three-year ban from returning to the country in time for January’s Australian Open. The world No 7 was deported at the start of the year, automatically receiving the ban as a result. And Tennis Australia boss Craig Tiley has now shared what Djokovic told him during their recent discussion at the Laver Cup.
Djokovic’s Australian Open fate lies in the hands of the federal government as the 35-year-old faces an anxious wait to learn whether they will lift the automatic three-year ban he received when he was deported from the country back in January. At present, the Serb cannot return to Australia until 2025 but is hoping the ban will be overturned so he can compete in three months’ time.
The world No 7 received a medical exemption from Tennis Australia to enter the country unvaccinated earlier this year when the jab was a requirement but Tiley has confirmed that they will not be lobbying the government over the decision this time. And the Australian Open tournament director also gave an insight into Djokovic’s thoughts on the situation after a recent chat at the Laver Cup.
“I did spend some time with Novak at the Laver Cup,” the Tennis Australia CEO said during Wednesday’s launch of the 2023 Australian Open. “We spoke generally.” Tiley confirmed that the nine-time Aussie Open winner wanted to be back at the tournament despite his experience earlier this year, but had accepted that it was not his decision.
JUST IN: Toni Nadal explains same problem facing Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic